"In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony."

Saturday 22 January 2011

Why?

So why am I blogging at all?  Isn't my life full to the last second?

Well, it is full, that's true.  Full of working, driving, cooking, cleaning etc.  But every once in a while I want ten minutes to do something creative.  And, unfortunately, I am not a creative person.  Old school friends still laugh at my attempts to use a sewing machine in textiles class 22 years ago.  I was the only student that the teacher gave up with and was made to sit on a separate table to hand sew (badly) a simple patchwork design.  The steam of frustration visibly seen from Mrs Boston's ears, are still as clear to me today as it was then.

So no sewing machines.  Which is a shame as I would love to.  But maybe not the best option for everyone's sanity in our house.

I have always loved writing.  Poems as a teenager and then a 50,000 word novella 8 years ago.  Mind you, there is a huge difference between loving something and being good at it. As I found out when I started writing classes last year.  Reading back those attempts were cringeworthy but I did learn a lot about how to improve and have vowed that one day, I will complete a novel.  With maternity leave only four months away, I am hoping that day may be sooner rather than later.  As long as I can juggle a newborn, toddler, house, older children and writing.  Yes - no problem!

So why else am I writing this, apart from to be creative?

Well, two other reasons.   The first one is that I would love a record of this pregnancy, as it is my last, and I am not very good at writing a diary by hand every night.  I sort of collapse in bed with a good book at the end of the day and am asleep in minutes.  Sorry if you are an insomniac but I don't suffer that way.  My tip - live my life for a week and you will sleep without a problem.  On the other hand, there may be a problem waking up!

So a record of my fifth pregnancy and a creative outpouring.  But the other reason is that I do get a lot of people - mostly women, it has to be said - that say "I don't know how you do it and stay sane". So for all of those women out there, I am hoping that this will provide an insight into how to juggle several balls at once and yet keep smiling.  I am far from perfect and don't know all of the answers but I do manage.  In fact, I don't manage life, I enjoy it.  You only get one so there is no point stressing and worrying. Better to get up and do.

Maybe more tomorrow or later....

No comments:

Post a Comment