"In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony."

Friday 18 February 2011

Potty training fun!

Well, today marks the start of the half-term, which for me, means a glorious nine days off!  So, I have decided to start potty training my 23 month old.

Why?  Well, as my ever expanding stomach reminds me, I will be having another baby in three months time and I am not sure that I will be up to potty training with a newborn to look after as well.  So, I have three choices - this half-term, the Easter holidays or wait until my newborn is a lot older.

It has to be during a holiday as I work term-time so I thought why not this holiday.  And then, why not start straight away?  So, with my holiday starting at 3.30pm, I started the potty training at 4.30pm.

So, the nappy came off, the potty came into the lounge and the chocolate was prepared.  And so I explained to Hannah that the chocolate was only for after a wee in the potty (or toilet as my educated daughter called it).  She seemed to understand and ran straight to her potty to try and gain some chocolate.  Unfortunately, nothing.

But, half an hour later, I hear the shouts, "Mum, chocolate."  All excited, I run to check the potty but there was nothing there.  I explained to Hannah (again) that she only got chocolate for having a wee.  But she was very insistent on having her chocolate despite being told she couldn't yet.  It didn't take long before I discovered why she thought she could have some chocolate.  She had done a wee.  Unfortunately, it was on the sofa.

An hour later and the same again.  A very pleased Hannah wants chocolate for weeing on my sofa.  So it seems that the sofa has become the toilet in her eyes.  This potty training may be cancelled until the Easter holidays or even until my baby is six months old!  But I will give it until the end of the weekend just to see if I can't change her mind as to where a good place to wee is.  Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

  1. A similar thing happened with my 23 month old too the other say, except it was poo on the stairs! He managed a bit of wee in the potty whilst I was cleaning up the trail of poo, unfortunately I'd not positioned him right so most of it was on the floor! I think i will wait too!
    Good luck with the new baby
    x

    ReplyDelete