"In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony."

Sunday 6 February 2011

Tragic news of Amanda Holden's baby

Deeply saddened by the news of Amanda Holden's baby this morning.  The loss of any baby is tragic but to lose two in one year and one after the critical viable stage must be heartbreaking.  My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family at this time.  Hope the media give them the privacy that she needs to grieve.

It has touched me more than it would normally do as we were both expecting boys within weeks of each other.  I can not imagine how I would feel if I lost my baby boy at this stage.  It also reminds me of how precious and yet fragile life is.  We get to a point in pregnancy (usually 12, 20 or 24 weeks) when we feel we are 'safe', yet today's tragic news reiterates that in life, nothing is guaranteed.

Of course, I don't want anyone or myself to spend a pregnancy in a state of worrying about 'what if' scenarios.  After all, there is nothing we can do to prevent these tragedies.  Instead, we should appreciate and enjoy each day that we have with our babies (including the unborn ones) and children.  You don't know what will happen tomorrow and you can do nothing to stop it, so make the most of today.

These thoughts remind me of a Yeats' poem 'On My First Sonne' in which he ponders over the issue of whether it is better to have loved and lost or never to have loved at all, after the death of his own son.  I believe that it is better to have loved and lost, so will live my life according to that and try not to worry about the life inside me, but love every day I have with him.

In the meantime, I will think of Amanda Holden and hope that she can find some peace in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment